Thursday, January 1, 2009

An Update and Some Musings

I wanted to let you-all know that Mark is home and well(ish) and sleeping soundly. His SVT actually converted on its own on the way to the hospital, and all the tests came back good (well, good for him!). I don't know what this episode means long term, but for now, he's okay.

Also, we are very grateful to have gotten home health up and running yesterday. They were going to start coming and working with him the week before Christmas, but we missed them once when I lost track of time in Wal-Mart when I was seizing a window in the Wild Weather to finish my Christmas shopping. Mark had tagged along with me, but the excursion wore him out so much that he ended up in the hospital overnight. When the nurse called the next morning, Kayte informed her that he wasn't in (but not where he WAS). The nurse, apparently peeved, dropped him from the list, saying that "clearly he's able to get out." Well, that-all has been straightened out finally, and she will be coming to the house every Wednesday to look in on him and to change his dressings. She thought that she could also have his narcotics delivered to the house, which I was very excited about, since I spend a lot of time going back and forth for his prescriptions, since they'll only give us a little bit at a time. But she found out that they will only ship larger quantities--like IV drips, not a week's supply of individual doses. Drat! Well, at least the weekly dressing changes are taken care of. ANY trip to Newberg I can cut out is a good thang!

On a different note ... I've been musing over your comments this morning, Katie. I hear what you're saying, but even though I moan about it, I really rather LIKE having our house as Grand Central Station (most of the time ...) The kids aren't only here on the weekends. We generally have two or three here after school, too (just not overnight on school nights). At school, the kids took a survey where they were supposed to check off all the teachers they felt truly connected to--not just that they know, but that they would feel comfortable going to in a crisis, for example. I was kind of dreading getting my list, because I've only been there one term--and how many kids could I realistically have connected to in that time? Anyway, I got my list back--and Check Spellingthere were over thirty kids on it. About a third were kids that I'd forged new bonds with through the classroom, but many of them were kids who come through our house all the time. A few of them call me "my other Mommy." It IS exhausting, but ... I think it's worth it! (Maybe I should just stop moaning if I don't plan to change things, eh? But what would be the fun in that!?! :) )

2 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds like you are really a blessing to the kids. So if that's the case, carry on! And may God give you stength. I wish our place could be a home away from home for kids, especially teenagers, but it simply cannot be. We tend to fill that role for college age students and young adults, which I suppose is a mission in and of itself, just not the one I had envisioned for myself.

Jenn said...

I totally agree! I was feeling bad for awhile, when I'd look around school, because so many of the teachers seem to be more involved, more ... whatever. And I felt so inadequate. Then I realized that the fact that I'm not into sports or FFA or most of the things that Dayton teachers support in droves means that I am able to reach those kids who don't necessarily have a natural fit with the other teachers. And I've really had to let go of the idea that I need to be OUT in order to touch others. I simply CAN'T be right now, with all that is going on in my life. I wish I could spend a whole lot more out-of-school hours doing things in the community, but right now, I simply can't. I've had to let go of the idea that I should be able to be all things for all people and just love on the ones that are under my feet!